Saturday, December 03, 2005

"Match Point" or...some guys have all the luck!


Ok, I finally did it! After having a very quick dinner at Flash Flash, I came back from the 70's and jumped into the cinema to see the acclaimed last Woody Allen's film with a friend of mine. I had heard really good critics about it (yeah, even from the states!) and I wasn't disappointed! The truth is that I know I saw an Allen's film because it was written down in the screen and I recognized the graphical source of the credits, but appart from it....there was no jazz, no characters in charge of give the film that touch of slightly comical humour so made of Woody, no New York background, no Woody Allen himself, no ex-wives nor children having bad relationship with the main role....and, in spite of this, you had what we could call the british Upper Side people, a cold atmosphere, cold unpredictable characters, the Opera, the Tate Modern, Ralph Lauren, a game called Tennis, the Thames and the Greek Islands. Appart from all those reasons, the narrative style and the way to develop, as much the characters as the argument itself, are not really characteristics of the New York film-maker, although the movie talks about human relationships, the ambition, the obsession, the desire of ascending, economic and professionally talking, although the price to pay had to be the own happiness, the chance, and the mechanisms that govern the human mind and that are responsibles of the way the human-beings act as they do under pressure.
Although it's true that there are certain elements quite predictable along the way (ie: the end of Nola, the diary...) the end itself is totally unpredictable... even more, after seeing the scene of the ring and the bridge, I was totally convinced that the end was going to be another one.
So...I liked the film....I really liked it, but I must complain a little bit about the main roles' work...and that's...yeah, I know she has many fans all over the world, but I'm sorry, I didn't like Scarlett Johansson (Nola Rice) nor Jonathan Rhys Meyers (Chris Wilton), just because they didn't seem very credible to me...you knew they were acting...do you know what I mean...? but hey! this is just a personal oppinion!
So....what are you doing still seating there and reading me...? C'mon, go to see "Match Point" and enjoy it! And then.....write your own comment about it!

4 Comments:

Blogger Grant said...

I haven't seen Match Point, but I noticed that you have down that you like The Ice Storm. That's great. I don't know anybody else who has even heard of it. I'm planning on reading the book soon.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Carme Padró said...

Hey, Grant! Thanks for visiting! Yes, The Ice Storm is one of my favourite movies. I really love the atmosphere and the way human relationships are explained there! I have stucked in my head the image of Christina Ricci riding her bike into the woods on a foggy afternoon...!
And if you haven't seen Match Point yet....what are you waiting for...? ;-) It's a really good one...!
Cheers!!!
Pijus

2:51 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

Yeah, the relationships are amazing in that film. I find it pretty amazing. And no worries, I'll see Match Point as soon as I have some free time.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Carme Padró said...

...good boy! ;)

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home